I recently took my son, a few months shy of two years old, to a park frequented by tourists of all ages. We were descending some stairs while an old lady and her husband were watching at the bottom. If I were to guess, they were both in their seventies or perhaps older. The woman smiled at my son while the man looked at me and said, "These are the best years". To be clear, he was referring to my son's age, not his.
This is not the first I've heard this. In fact, it's sad how many times I do hear it. One of my favorite times was when my wife and I were in an elevator at the hospital. Our son was around one and we were joined by a couple with what I gathered was a four or five year old daughter. They looked at us with pleasant smiles and after asking us how old our son was, the wife said, "I remember those days, those were the best days." I suppose I don't know for sure how their five year old daughter felt about hearing her best years were behind her, but I didn't take it all that well.
I never know how to respond to these people. "I know, we'll probably trade him in soon." I'm sure what they really mean to say is, "Cherish these moments", but it always sounds like a warning. As if we're unaware our boy is growing and will one day be able to articulate how much we annoy him.
I don't mean to sound as if I think these people are bad parents for having favorite ages, I just wish they'd realize how ridiculous it is to assume these favorite ages are somehow universal.
No comments:
Post a Comment