I went to the dentist this morning. Not a pleasant experience for anyone, least of all the dental hygienists. These poor ladies (that isn't a sexist generalization, I've just never seen a male hygienist before. I'm not sure they exist). But trying to imagine what they must go through every working hour, I do my best to make their day. So this morning I went through my pre-dentist prep, brushing, flossing, trimming my nose hairs. I want to make sure that when I leave, they take a deep breath and think, maybe this job isn't so bad after all.
I'm sure there aren't a lot of patients going out of their way to make these people miserable, but I know from experience that some people do. For instance, I distinctly remember my mom annoyed with my dad when she came to pick me and my brothers up for one of our rare childhood visits to the dentist. All three of us came out to the car with a mouth full of snickers bar. My dad was shocked at her disappointment, "What's the big deal? They're about to get all cleaned up anyway."
Though idiotic, this mentality isn't rare, I can even relate a bit. It's sort of like the night before I start a new diet. I go on a chicken wing binge and pound free refills of soda as if I'm having my tongue removed in the morning. But, today, lucky for Sandy, I refused this mentality, and judging by the way she complimented my gums, I am pretty certain this was the best day she's had in a while.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
way to go, aaron. i hope they sent you home with a super neat-o toothbrush and a special treat from their toy drawer!
ReplyDelete