There is a manhunt going on in Blaine, Minnesota. It's all over the news. My wife and I were watching TV and the cliffhangers for the 10:00 news went something like this, "And police are still on the search for a dangerous man in Blaine tonight...." The previews had showed short videos of backed up traffic and patrolmen combing the fields for clues. I assumed the worse. By the manpower invested in this chase, it was pretty obvious the guy had murdered a dozen people and tore into the woods, none of us were safe.
Our TV show ended at 10 and I had very little interest in being terrified, but before I could turn off the TV, a picture of the fugitive's latest victim was released. His name was Shadow. A police dog. The man had stabbed and severely injured the animal after the dog had caught up to him during a chase through the woods. I thought about how this brave hero had risked its life to keep me safe, and just like that, was stabbed "no less than twice" according to the reporters. The dog is in critical condition and a call has been made for us to send our prayers to speed the recovery of Shadow. What if Shadow didn't pull through though? Would there be a parade down main street in Blaine, honoring the fallen? I like to imagine a scene like those in old firefighter movies of the 90's, where the whole city of New York shuts down to pay their respects. This could actually happen in Blaine if the dog dies. Though, let's be clear, I am not at all hoping this happens. I just like to think of cop dogs being like characters in cop movies. Sitting around their pen, talking to other dogs about how they're too old for this and that. Lapping water with the fellas, daydreaming about going out a hero. Terrified of developing arthritis and being shot in the head by their owner.
I suppose they don't do that anymore though. Shoot animals to put them out of their misery. It seems so barbaric now. These days dogs are kissed on the mouth and owners leave the TV on when they're away so as to keep the dog from feeling lonely. It's hard to believe there was a time putting your own dog down was typical procedure. I had a friend that told me a story about when she was little her dad had ran over her pet dog and had to shoot it shortly after. Can you imagine? Here's a little girl, very attached to a dog her father backed over with the truck and then shot. It's completely unreal. But true. Poor dad, I am sure, would be considered a monster by today's standards.
at the risk of losing any animal-loving friends, i will keep this short.
ReplyDeletei agree.
p.s. but really. i do love animals! just not as much as humans.
Thank you Angie. I feel the same, I almost didn't post this thinking there would be backlash, but that's all I am saying. There's a difference people. Or at least there was once.
ReplyDelete