Thursday, January 14

Writer's Cramp?

I thought writer's cramp was like polio, a crippling affliction we no longer had to worry about. You have some people out there crying about the extinction of the handwritten letter. Well, for the few of us still writing I say "F U, hippies." I think it's safe to assume most people still writing rather than typing are doing so out of necessity. In my case I need to write my dad, because he has no phone and no internet. It's as if he's in solitary confinement and I should be wrapping my letters around a pack of cigarettes. (Actually, if you listen to him talk about his apartment, you would get the same impression.) Recently, I went to Japan, to tell him as much as possible without going into any interesting detail, the shortest I could muster was a four page letter. By the second page, I was shaking my hand out. With a huff I thought, "Well this is just barbaric". Why on Earth would people subject themselves to writing a long letter when they can email? Carpal tunnel? Please, a genius came up with the cure in gel wrist rests. People did not stop writing because the future is terrible and we are all too lazy to show we care, they stopped writing for the same reasons we prefer cars to stagecoach, faster and less horse shit. We still care just as much, a long typed email has just as many words as a handwritten letter, and after my experience last night, I would guess it might even have more.

3 comments:

  1. Faster, and less horseshit. Amazing. Man, I bet your dad loves getting those letters in the mail though. Way to go. A little pain for you for a big smile from him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure I can read your blog at work. Seriously. My cube-mates will think there's something wrong with me when I randomly start to giggle. Stagecoach? Who thinks of these things?

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, there is far too much about your family that i don't know. we shall discuss it all in detail tomorrow. prepare yourself by studying up on your austin family history.
    also, arianna makes a very valid point. i'm lucky i'm still working at home and that quinn doesn't judge me.

    ReplyDelete